Saturday, December 11, 2004

How do they get away with it?

The Englishman reports on the Animal Welfare Bill currently working its way through Parliament, and is astonished to find that it proposes a raft of new inspectors, regulations, bureaucrats and paperwork. I suppose we should at least commend the committee for pointing out that the assessment of the impact of all this regulation is, er, pathetic.

What struck me was that the bill seems to confer a right of entry without warrant to premises that are wholly or partly used for business purposes. Now I run a small business from my house. So this would appear to mean that if the state thinks I am maltreating my budgerigar, they can now now search the house without my permission. I'm sure that's not what was intended but it appears to be what the bill says.