Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Love and hate

I was reading this post at the Yes Campaign blog.

Opponents of the supranational institutions in Europe ought to reflect on this. The creation of these institutions has enabled different European countries to resolve their disputes without resort to violence. Compare the last fifty years in Europe with the previous fifty years to see the difference that it has made.

Which prompted a thought. Europhiles often describe Eurosceptics as xenophobic, a claim which could politely be described as a sweeping generalisation. Why is it that if don't want to share government with someone I must hate them or want to go to war with them? Conversely if I like foreigners, should I want to share government with them? Why? It's a very strange way to organise your relations with others. I mean, can you imagine a conversation which went along the lines of:

"Do you like me?"
"Yes."
"Then you'll want to marry me."
"Er...no."
"So you hate me......"

It's all a little reminscent of the kind of conversations you have with members of the opposite sex as a teenager. I wonder what the average age of Europhiles is? Here is some worldly advice for them. Just because you like someone, doesn't mean you have to go to bed with them. And if someone says they won't go to bed with you, doesn't mean they don't like you, so don't get upset about it.